Trinity Church Wall Street has begun a two-year, $98 million rejuvenation project by closing its nave and beginning repairs and renovations. The Chapel of All Saints and the churchyard will remain open for visitors and parishioners.
The rejuvenation is expected to be substantially complete in the spring of 2020 or sooner.
“Rejuvenating Trinity Church is part of our mission to provide a spiritual home for lower Manhattan — our parishioners, neighbors, workers, and visitors,” said the Rev. William Lupfer, rector.
The rejuvenation will return parts of the church to Richard Upjohn’s original 1846 plan; the chancel will be restored to its original size, increasing capacity by 140 seats. Interior walls and ceilings will be painted to reflect Upjohn’s original stone design.
- The stained-glass windows will be repaired and restored; the clerestory windows, which are not original, will be redesigned. New stained-glass windows will be designed and installed in the east exterior façade, facing Wall Street, and will be lit from the interior.
- New organs will be installed in Trinity Church and the Chapel of All Saints.
- Ramps will be added to the north and south entrances of Trinity Church. The east plaza will be modified, and steps will be removed in the Chapel of All Saints chancel, making the entire church building ADA accessible.
- The altar will be separated from the reredos and made movable to accommodate diverse events.
- Flooring will be made consistent throughout the church.
- Existing pews will be redesigned and refurbished for accessibility and comfort.
- A new lighting and sound system will be installed inside the church; exterior lighting will also be upgraded.
- Gender-neutral restrooms will be installed.
- The choir room will be renovated with acoustic panels and other enhancements to upgrade the quality of practice and performance.
- An unobtrusive glass and steel canopy will be added along the outside of the south side of Trinity Church to provide protection for the processional during inclement weather.
- The church will create more public space by relocating the sacristy; a new multifunctional meeting area will be built.
This will not be the first time that Trinity Church has used St. Paul’s as a second home: it has relocated twice, first after the Great Fire of 1776, and again in 1839 for the construction of the current church. The last major renovation occurred in 1945.