The triennial Episcopal Youth Event (EYE), which attracts roughly 1,500 participants, seeks a host diocese for 2020. The Episcopal Chruch’s Office of Youth Ministries is accepting applications until Jan. 19 from dioceses interested in hosting the next EYE.
EYE20 is tentatively scheduled for the week of July 6 or the week of July 13.
EYE is geared for students in grades 9-12 during the academic year and their adult leaders. The most recent, EYE17 in Oklahoma City, welcomed more than 1,400 participants, youth leaders, presenters, volunteers and staff.
“While EYE20 is a wider Episcopal Church event planned and primarily implemented by the presiding bishop’s staff and designated planning team participants, the host diocese plays a critical role in the success of the event,” said Wendy Johnson, EYE20 Event Coordinator. “In the past, host dioceses have provided a planning team liaison, who is available to meet and act as a bridge between event staff, the planning team, and the host diocese.”
Support provided by a host diocese typically includes:
- Finding a university or college campus with capacity to sleep 1,500 in dorm-style lodging, sufficient large meeting and dining space, and located within 30 minutes of a major U.S. airport.
- Supporting the event in preparation and execution.
- Providing local advice and guidance.
- Recruiting significant numbers of local volunteers for on-site support, an airport welcome team, and a send-off team.
- Sponsoring a local pilgrimage day, both financially and logistically.
Details, requirements, and additional information are available on this page.
Adapted from the Office of Public Affairs