Adapted from the Office of Public Affairs
The Episcopal Church seeks volunteers for a search committee to develop a position description and interview candidates for the church’s staff officer for black ministries, a member of the presiding bishop’s staff.
A letter to the church from the Rev. Canon Stephanie Spellers, canon for evangelism, reconciliation, and stewardship of creation, and the Rev. Canon Anthony Guillen, team leader for ethnic and diversity ministries, explains the process for selecting a broadly representative search committee:
Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
This is an exciting moment in the life of the Church and in the Jesus Movement. Our church’s leadership has called for a Staff Officer for Black Ministries to serve on the staff of the Presiding Bishop. We will use the following process to constitute a search committee and then to identify a gifted leader for this ministry.
- A notice will be sent to the entire Church, welcoming applications to a search committee. Applications due by January 20, 2017.
- The Presiding Bishop will appoint a 6-8-member search committee which is diverse and broadly representative of those engaged in and knowledgeable about church planting and new ministry development in the Episcopal Church.
- The search committee will review the tasks and partnerships associated with this important work and assist in writing a new job description based on the needs of the church today.
- The job description will be posted and applications for the Staff Officer for Black Ministries position will be received for approximately six weeks.
- Using a confidential process, the search committee will review resumes, conduct interviews and recommend at least two candidates to the Presiding Bishop.
- The Presiding Bishop will interview the candidates and call the Staff Officer.
This letter is an invitation for members of the Episcopal Church to apply to serve on the search committee.
The form to nominate persons for this search committee may be found here.
Please join us in prayer as we enter the call process for this important post.