Adapted from the Office of Public Affairs
Presiding Bishop Michael Curry will be the keynote speaker for Evangelism Matters, an Episcopal Church Evangelism Conference on Nov. 18-19 in Dallas. The Rev. Canon Stephanie Spellers, the Presiding Bishop’s Canon for Evangelism and Reconciliation, will speak on “Testimony.”
Evangelism Matters is designed for anyone who would like to learn more about evangelism. The churchwide event is co-sponsored by Forward Movement and the Presiding Bishop’s Office, and is hosted by the Diocese of Dallas and Church of the Transfiguration. Spanish translation will be provided for all plenaries, worship and several workshops.
A panel presentation — “What Is Evangelism?” — will feature several speakers:
- The Rev. Alberto Cutié, rector of St. Benedict’s, Plantation, Florida
- The Rev. Marcus Halley, pastor for young adults and families at St. Andrew’s Church in Kansas City
- Carrie Boren Headington, missioner for evangelism in the Diocese of Dallas
- Mary Parmer, creator of the Invite *Welcome* Connect program in the Diocese of Texas
The panel will be moderated by the Rev. Canon Scott Gunn, executive director of Forward Movement.
- “Talking God Today” by the Rev. Albert Cutié, rector of St. Benedict’s, Plantation, Florida
- “Elevator Evangelism” by the Rev. Casey Shobe, rector, of Church of the Transfiguration, Dallas
- “Compassionate Evangelism: A Non-Judgmental Approach to Sharing Your Faith” by the Rev. Canon Dr. Fred Vergara, Episcopal Church Missioner for Asiamerican and Pacific Islanders Ministries
- “How to Contextualize the Message of Jesus in U.S. Hispanic Cultures” by The Rev. Luis Andrade, rector of St. Helena’s, Burr Ridge, Illinois
- “Home: From the Front Door to the Kitchen. An Intersection of Communications Strategy, Formation, and Membership Growth” by Mike Orr, director of communications for the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado.
- “Our Stories Speak of God” by the Rev. Hershey Mallette Stephens of Trinity Wall Street, New York
- “Social Media, Evangelism, and Connecting with Emerging Cultures” by the Rev. Canon Anthony Guillén, Episcopal Church Missioner for Latino/Hispanic Ministries
- “Invite*Welcome*Connect” by Mary Parmer, Director of the Gathering of Leaders
- “How to Make a Rocking Welcome Video on a Dime” by Christian Anderson and Trevor Black of Episcopal Video Network
Key portions of Evangelism Matters will be webcast to allow for individual and group viewing during conventions, discussion groups, and local evangelism gatherings. The free webcast will be available here.
Registration is available here. Registration is $125 per person and the deadline is Oct. 15.