The May 1 edition of The Living Church is available online to registered subscribers. In the cover story, Alexander R. Pryor writes about All Saints’ Church in Kaua’i, Hawai’i, as it works to preserve the parish’s classic organ:
Churches of many denominations are on the island, but All Saints’ has the only pipe organ, a mass-produced Corophone model with four ranks or sets of pipes, built by Austin Organs of Hartford, Connecticut, in 1925, and last renovated in the 1980s.
Local adoption of the rich English heritage of organ and choral music has come with challenges, not least in the tropical climate of Kaua’i. The inner workings of pipe organs, developed in northern Europe and largely unchanged for centuries, depend on hundreds of wooden and leather fittings and connections remaining airtight.
“To have organ music on an Hawaiian island means dealing with humidity, wind-swept sand, ants, termites, and hurricanes,” said Morris Wise, a parishioner of All Saints’ who is coordinating the organ renovation project and has a background in organ building.
Wise worked with Manuel Rosales in Los Angeles, who installed the Walt Disney Concert Hall’s organ. “Over time, the humidity and the salt air take their toll on the wood, the leather, and even the metal pipes,” Wise said.
Contents of the May 1 edition:
- ACO Projects in Need of More Funds
- Twenty Minutes with David Hurd | Liturgies and Encountering the Almighty God | By Cara Ellen Modisett
- Choristers Revive a Congregation | By G. Jeffrey MacDonald
- Saving a Classic | By Alexander R. Pryor
- God and Churchill | Review by Paul Avis
- Between Kin and Cosmopolis | Review by John D. Alexander
- The Story of the Philadelphia Eleven • The Spirit of the Lord is Upon Me • Looking Forward, Looking Backward | Review by Jesse Zink
- Newman and His Family | Review by Dwight A. Lindley III
- Relentlessly Baptismal | By Hannah Ruth Earl
- 12 Hymns, Recast | By David Heetderks
- Ways of Communion | Married to Disorder | By Andrew Goddard
- Caeli enarrant
- People & Places
- Sunday’s Readings