Adapted from Virginia Theological Seminary
Virginia Theological Seminary’s Office of Lifetime Theological Education has planned many music and lecture events for the next year that will celebrate the newly consecrated Immanuel Chapel.
“The idea of the Dedicatory Year is to celebrate our new chapel. We want to stretch that space, make demands of the space, and live into the space,“ said the Very Rev. Ian S. Markham, dean and president.
VTS plans four events in November:
An Evening with Mary
Tuesday, Nov. 3, 7:15–9:15 p.m.
Ms. Peggy Parker and the Rev. Cayce Ramey
Come experience an informal evening to celebrate the new sculpture, “Mary as Prophet — He has filled the hungry with good things,” by adjunct instructor Peggy Parker. This remarkable journey from sketches to sculpture is shared through a theological photo essay by the Rev. Cayce Ramey. The evening will include discussions on creativity and prophecy from Parker and Ramey, with time for exploring the exhibit that includes other works by Parker as well as Ramey’s photographs.
Thomas Dix Bowers Preaching Fellowship Lectures
featuring Thomas G. Long
Friday, Nov. 6, 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
Thomas G. Long is the Candler School of Theology, Bandy Professor of Preaching, emeritus. As part of the LTE Fridays at the Seminary, Long will present two lectures: The Good Funeral and the Good Funeral Sermon and Preaching in More than One Voice: Enchantment, Wisdom, and Disruption. Registration ends at noon on Nov. 3.
Dedicatory Organ Recital with Scott Dettra
Friday, Nov. 6, 7:30 p.m.
The Immanuel Chapel’s tracker-action organ built by Taylor and Boody Organbuilders of Staunton, Va., will be dedicated at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 6. The public is invited to attend the free recital — presented by Scott Dettra, organist at Church of the Incarnation, Dallas — and the reception.
Envisioning the Visitation: An Encounter with the Creative Act
Tuesday, Nov. 15
Service at 2:30 p.m. at the sculpture site, outside Immanuel Chapel; reception and artists’ talks in the Addison Academic Center, 3–5 p.m.
More events for the dedicatory year
- Dec. 4 — Fridays at the Seminary: Advent Pilgrimage: A Walk Through Sacred Space
- Dec. 6 — Dean’s Cross with Lessons & Carols
- Dec. 13 — Messiah sing-along conducted by Mark Whitmire
- Jan. 10 — Organ recital with Janet Yieh
- Jan. 19-22 — Storyteller class led by Donald Davis
- February —Evening School course: Peace-making and Spiritual Discipline, led by the Rt. Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
- Feb. 20 — Illuminated Lives: Silent retreat, with activities led by the Rev. Dawna Wall.
- March–May — Degree and Enriched Evening School Course: Biblical Stortelling: Sacred Spaces led by the Rev. Ruthanna Hooke.
- March 18 18 — Organ recital with Marilyn Keiser
- March 27 — Easter egg hunt hosted by Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill
- April 4-5 — Martin Luther King, Jr., commemoration led by the Rev. James A. Forbes, Jr.
- April 9 — Chanticleer choral concert
- April 27 — Silent Movie with organ improvisation featuring Dorothy Papadokos
- May 6 — Fridays at the Seminary with the Rt. Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori
- May 12 — A Retrospective Reflection on the last two decades in the Episcopal Church: A Conversation with the Rt. Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori and the Rt. Rev. Frank T. Griswold III
- June 6-8 — Reformation 2016
- September-November — Evening School course: Sacred Space, led by the Rev. J. Barney Hawkins IV.
- October 4-5 — Convocation 2016 with Ed Begley, Jr.
TLC on Facebook ¶ TLC on Twitter ¶ TLC’s feed ¶ TLC’s weblog, Covenant ¶ Subscribe