The Rt. Rev. David Keller Leighton, Sr., 11th bishop of the Diocese of Maryland and a veteran of World War II, died on August 7. He was 91. A native of Pittsburgh, Leighton was a graduate of Northwestern University and Virginia Theological Seminary.
During World War II he was sergeant major of Headquarters Ninth Air Force, and he received a Presidential Citation. He received six battle stars for service in the China-Burma-India Theatre, the European-Middle Eastern Theatre, and the American Theatre.
He was ordained to the priesthood in 1955. He served two churches in Pittsburgh: Calvary in East Liberty, and as rector of St. Andrew’s, Highland Park. He moved to Baltimore in 1959. He was rector of the Church of the Holy Nativity, Forest Park, northwest Baltimore, beginning in 1959. The Rt. Rev. Harry Lee Doll appointed him archdeacon of Maryland, and he served in that role from 1964 to 1968.
He was consecrated bishop coadjutor on Nov. 30, 1968, at Emmanuel Church, Baltimore, and served for three years until becoming bishop diocesan in January 1972. He served as bishop until 1985.
The bishop is survived by Carolyn Leighton, his wife of 68 years; daughters Charlotte Leighton of Ft. Collins, Colorado, and Nancy Koenig, Scottsville, Virginia; a son, David K. Leighton, Jr., of Soquel, California; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.