Navy Chaplain Lt. Marc Massie studies his Bible before a service in Fallujah, Iraq. • Photographer’s Mate 2nd Class Eric Powell, U.S. Navy, via Wikimedia Commons
Adapted from the Office of Public Affairs:
A search committee will receive nominations for the Bishop Suffragan for Armed Services and Federal Ministries until Feb. 29.
The suffragan bishop reports to Presiding Bishop Michael Curry, is based in the nation’s capital, and oversees the church’s chaplaincies within the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Bureau of Prisons. The House of Bishops will elect the suffragan bishop at its next meeting, scheduled for Sept. 14-20.
The Rt. Rev. James Magness, who has served in the office since 2010, plans to retire in 2017.
Members of the search committee are:
- Chairman Christopher Weaver, Rear Admiral, U.S. Navy, retired
- Maj. Gen. Razz Waff, U.S. Army, retired
- Chaplain (Col.) Paul Minor, U.S. Air National Guard
- Col. Stephen Dalzell, U.S. Army, retired
- Chaplain (Col.) Carl Andrews, U.S. Air Force, retired
- Chaplain Marion Thullbery, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Chaplain Christine Waweru, Federal Bureau of Prisons
To nominate someone, send the clergy person’s name, a current email, cell-phone number, and postal address to Christopher Weaver, Rear Admiral, USN (ret)., c/o Office of Bishop Suffragan for Armed Forces and Federal Ministries, 3504 Woodley Rd. N.W., Washington, DC 20016, or by email to email@example.com. The committee welcomes self-nominations.