The Diocese of Eastern Oregon will accept nominations June 1-July 20 as it seeks a new bishop.
The Rt. Rev. Bavi E. “Nedi” Rivera has served as a half-time Bishop Provisional of Eastern Oregon since 2009. The previous bishop, the Rt. Rev. William O. Gregg, served from 2000 to 2007 and left to serve as an assisting bishop in the Diocese of North Carolina.
The diocese is based in Cove, which is east of the Cascade Mountains and about 275 miles from Portland. It has published a 21-page profile [PDF] that includes a page on “The Bishop We Seek.” The diocese says it seeks a bishop who:
- Focuses on strength of relationship over structure. EDEO [the Episcopal Diocese of Eastern Oregon] focuses on connection with each other with a strong appreciation for all orders of ministry — laity, diaconate, presbyter, and bishop.
- Engages the diocese in all of its geographic diversity. One third of our congregations have full time clergy, the other [two-thirds] are served in various other creative ways. All are faithful, committed and need varying types of formation and congregational assistance to remain strong.
- Communicates to remain connected to all of EDEO in all its geographical vastness using up to date technology.
- Takes the Gospel seriously and goes with us to the hard places of racism and understanding the ramifications of privilege.
- Leads in strong ecumenical relationships and other partnerships. Demonstrates bold creativity in facing a challenging future.