St. Paul’s Church in downtown Baltimore has completed an interior painting and lighting renovation to enhance its historic building. Founded in 1692, St. Paul’s is the oldest church and institution in Baltimore. The parish has had several buildings. Architect Richard Upjohn designed the current Italian Romanesque church with Tiffany stained glass windows, after the former building was destroyed by fire in 1854.
To renew the faded walls, the congregation chose a golden yellow called “Harvest Time,” which was the original wall color. A sketch from 1856 also showed the design to have stars painted on the church ceiling, but the stars had never been applied. The ceiling now has gold stars painted on a field of blue. Members of the congregation were invited to “buy a star” in memory of a loved one. New lighting enhances the ceiling as well.
To learn more about St. Paul’s, visit osp1692.org.